Be a Volunteer!
Art City relies on volunteers in order to offer the quality of services our participants need and deserve. Volunteers contribute their valuable time and energy, and Art City will ensure a worthwhile, fun, and positive learning experience for all involved. For volunteer inquires, please contact Toby Gillies at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for the Art City volunteer application form.
Indigenous Art Instructor
Art City is currently seeking an Indigenous Art Instructor, to be employed on a part-time basis.
Indigenous Art is a Special Program at Art City, which explores both traditional and contemporary Indigenous art practices. Workshops are held Saturdays, from 12:00 – 4:00 p.m., September – June. The Indigenous Art Instructor will develop program activities, in consultation with the Managing Director & Artistic Director, and will facilitate workshops with the assistance of one other staff and at least two volunteers. The Indigenous Art program is open to everyone: all ages and abilities, with a focus children, youth, and families.
In addition to the Indigenous Art program, the Indigenous Art Instructor will be a key member of the Art City staff, providing guidance and expertise to Art City’s team. There will be many opportunities to design and facilitate workshops in Art City’s extensive Community Programs (outreach) on an ad hoc basis, as well as Workshop Facilitation shifts in other Art City programs. In other words, 5 hours per week are guaranteed, with a strong likelihood for more.
Brief Job Description:
- Develop and facilitate art programming that explores traditional and contemporary Indigenous art forms & practices
- Engage participants of all ages & abilities
- Lead other facilitators and volunteers in the Indigenous Art program
- Schedule and assist guest artists with workshops
- Resolve conflict as necessary
- Organize and maintain supplies for workshops
- Provide guidance and expertise in order to ensure Art City’s cultural proficiency and responsiveness in all programs
- Assist with the development and delivery of Community Programs (outreach) workshops
- Facilitate regular and special programs workshops as needed
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings
- Proficient knowledge of traditional and contemporary Indigenous art forms & practices
- Uncompromising dedication to the preservation and proliferation of Indigenous culture in society
- Ability to contribute to the development of art programming
- Innovative and responsive
- Experienced working with children and youth
- Demonstrated leadership qualities
- Excellent communication skills
- Capacity to approach conflict in creative ways
- Ability to work well in a team
- Knowledge of inner-city issues
- Positive role model for children and youth
Art City is an equal opportunity employer, however due to the nature of this position applicants must identify as First Nations, Inuit, or Métis.
Deadline for applications: 5:00 p.m. Monday, May 1, 2017
Please Send a Cover Letter and Resume/ CVs to:
Josh Ruth, Managing Director email@example.com
Art City 616 Broadway Avenue Winnipeg, MB R3C 0W8
*Please include 1-3 references with phone numbers*
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Be a Guest Artist!
Ongoing Open Call for Proposals: Community Artist Series
Art City is hiring Winnipeg based artists to lead collaborative art workshops at our studio in West Broadway and at our Community Programs sites in Central Park, Daniel McIntyre, Elwick, Spence, Transcona, and West Alexander.
There is no deadline for submissions
Artists can submit workshop proposals using the application form, available for download here. Please attach a CV or Resume if available.
Things to keep in mind while writing an Art City workshop proposal:
- Workshops should be suitable for all ages
- Workshops can be for 1, 2, or 3 days, maximum once per year per artist.
- Artists are welcome to submit more than one workshop idea
- Workshops should be designed so that participants are able to express individual creativity
Fees and scheduling
- Selected guest artists will receive a $25/hour guest artist fee
- Guest artists must be able to be at Art City from 3:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. or similar after school hours at our Community Programs sites. Transportation from Art City to the sites and back can be arranged.
- First time guest artists will be asked to visit Art City or a Community Program site during open hours before their own workshop
- Selected guest artists will be asked to provide a Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check eligible for reimbursement by Art City
Please submit your proposals in PDF form to:
Eddie Ayoub, Artistic Director at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to lead a workshop at our West Broadway studio.
Natalie Ferguson, Community Programs Manager at email@example.com if you would like to lead a workshop at one of our Community Programs sites.
Proposals can also be dropped off at Art City, 616 Broadway during office hours, Monday to Thursday 9 am to 5 pm.
Juried Call for Proposals: Professional Guest Artist
Art City invites local, national, and international professional artists to submit proposals to lead collaborative art workshops at our studio once a year. The call for proposals for 2017-2018 closed on February 6th, 2017.
The call for proposals for 2018-2019 will be posted in November 2017.